[opensuse-project] Re: [RFC] - Attempt to build open SLES-based distro
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:40:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:33:01 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Jim Henderson
<hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:56:10 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:46:53 +0200, Michael Kromer wrote:

I guess you are talking about the upgrade subscription, right?
However, as GPL clearly states that you cannot charge anything for
the Software itself, you actually pay for the "service around
packaging, power, ethernet - simply infrastructure and update
service".

I don't believe this is correct.  To the best of my knowledge, the GPL
doesn't prohibit charging for the software, but it states that the
source must be freely available.  The GPL doesn't have a lot (if
anything) to say about cost, because "free" doesn't mean "as in beer"
in the GPL.

Seems I am correct on this.  See:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

(As well as the other questions present)

Jim

The key feature of GPL for this discussion is any buyer of SLES /
updates, must have the ability to get the source.

And that source must still have the GPL in place, so the recipient can
do anything with it that they want.

How useable that source is another question. ie. providing it on paper
would satisfy the GPL as far as I know. Fortunately, I've not heard of
any company trying to abuse the GPL like that.

Sure, but my comment was specifically about the incorrect assertion that
one cannot charge for GPL'ed software, only for the services around
packaging, power, etc. That's categorically not true according to the GPL
FAQ.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson