[opensuse-project] Re: [RFC] - Attempt to build open SLES-based distro
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:56:10 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:46:53 +0200, Michael Kromer wrote:

I guess you are talking about the upgrade subscription, right? However,
as GPL clearly states that you cannot charge anything for the Software
itself, you actually pay for the "service around packaging, power,
ethernet - simply infrastructure and update service".

I don't believe this is correct. To the best of my knowledge, the GPL
doesn't prohibit charging for the software, but it states that the source
must be freely available. The GPL doesn't have a lot (if anything) to
say about cost, because "free" doesn't mean "as in beer" in the GPL.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson