Re: [opensuse-project] [RFC] What about welcome.opensuse.org?
On 20.09.2011 Kim wrote:
Hello Geeckos!

There were a discussion[1] about kicking SUSEGreeter a few months
ago. And yes, it was quite quiet about it until today.

My idea:

creating a site called welcome.opensuse.org, instead of using
SuSEgreeter.

SUSEGreeter was very nice in a time where not everyone had an
internet connection. In the most countries of the world, an internet
connection is standard now.

So, I think SUSEgreeter should be retired. There so many new
technologies on the internet, so, why not using a website instead of
SUSEGreeter?

The idea:

* Creating a website which is lightweight but still delivers a
comprehensive bunch of information, which could be useful for first
start.

* Links to openSUSE News, openSUSE´s facebook presence and other SUSE
stuff on the internet

* Link to the mailinglist archive

* Download links for additional CDs

* link to SUSE Studio

* links to the most important wiki pages

I´m on the way to create a prototype of such a site and want to ask
you if anyone else is interested in it? I´m working a bit with HTML
&& CSS in the near past and the near future, so it also would help
me to get in the stuff ;-)

So, I want to ask for comments and ideas about it.

If there people who are interested in it, don´t be shy and join the
project ;-)

First of all, I think it's a good idea to replace SUSE Greeter.
Initially I was thinking why not just point to openSUSE.org but it does
make sense to have a page specifically for those who have installed
openSUSE already. So it should have a prominent search for more software
(!!) and links to the important how-to's and other documentation. Share
pls once you have something nice :D

kind regards,
Kim

[1] https://features.opensuse.org/312754