[opensuse-project] [RFC] What about welcome.opensuse.org?
Hello Geeckos!

There were a discussion[1] about kicking SUSEGreeter a few months ago. And yes, it was quite quiet about it until today.

My idea:

creating a site called welcome.opensuse.org, instead of using SuSEgreeter.

SUSEGreeter was very nice in a time where not everyone had an internet connection. In the most countries of the world, an internet connection is standard now.

So, I think SUSEgreeter should be retired. There so many new technologies on the internet, so, why not using a website instead of SUSEGreeter?

The idea:

* Creating a website which is lightweight but still delivers a comprehensive bunch of information, which could be useful for first start.

* Links to openSUSE News, openSUSE´s facebook presence and other SUSE stuff on the internet

* Link to the mailinglist archive

* Download links for additional CDs

* link to SUSE Studio

* links to the most important wiki pages

I´m on the way to create a prototype of such a site and want to ask you if anyone else is interested in it? I´m working a bit with HTML && CSS in the near past and the near future, so it also would help me to get in the stuff ;-)

So, I want to ask for comments and ideas about it.

If there people who are interested in it, don´t be shy and join the project ;-)

kind regards,
Kim

[1] https://features.opensuse.org/312754
--
-o) Kim Leyendecker
/\\ openSUSE Ambassador, openSUSE Wiki Team DE