Re: [opensuse-project] packaging rules
On 10.09.2011 Alin wrote:
Hi All,

in the last few days we had a small flood, a trickle compared with
Noah's, on the mailing list about some package distributing
religious content. The discussion got hijacked by personal views
totally ignoring the fact that we already have guidelines for these
situations...

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines#Legal

Some examples of content which are not permissible:
Religious texts

We shall decide what we should do.
1. Scrap the rule

This is something you can't discuss over a mailing list as the last week
has clearly shown. It is something for a face to face meeting like the
openSUSE conference. If anyone thinks the rules need changing, OK, let's
discuss it here or at another conference which has a significant number
of people attending.

or
2. Apply the rule.

So that's right now the way to go, I'd say. But it's the call of the
team maintaining the repository (and after them the call of the release
team if they accept the package or not). In the end - these 'rules'
aren't black and white (but more like guidelines) and we could modify
the text slightly (as has been proposed) and make an exception.

Alin

Meanwhile this discussion has also shown we have a problem with people
behaving what I can only call childish. Apologies to all for the
behavior of some here. Tomorrow we'll have a BOF at the conference to
discuss having some moderation on this list.

I don't think these things have to be brought to the openSUSE Board.
After all, if kids mis-behave, you don't go to the police, you give them
a (verbal) slap on the wrist. It's how they learn.

Cheers,
Jos