RE: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: "Administrator" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:09:47 +0100
However, I agree with your point that "open" shouldn't mean "anything
goes".
Have we had issues before with overtly provocative packages? If so, how
were they dealt with?
As far as I know, license where much more controversial so far than
people's
views ;-)

I think the guiding principles offer sound coverage of the aspects I
mentioned of being open and welcoming in diversity, but is there any
formal
language that states a position on what *shouldn't* be tolerated?

I would think we should do something consistent with Kant's Universal
Principle "Act only on a maxim that you can will to be a universal law". If
we are not willing to allow all the same option (add their own religious /
political texts into the distribution) then we should keep the current
guiding principles. I can easily think of religious & political texts that
I would be very unhappy being associated with (especially some of the
interpretations of the texts).

To my mind, the alternative is to adopt the kind of formulation that is used
in many legal systems, banning texts which promote hatred, violence,
discrimination or intolerance. That would permit (most) religious texts and
(most) interpretations, but creates a very tricky problem of interpretation.

Or, separate software and content and encourage generalised software that
can be used for all varieties of texts ...

Just my $0.04

David

Ps and yes, personal attack should be banned, including by inference (I
think you're an X, and all X's are <some variety of bad>).