Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:16:07 +0200
On Friday 09 September 2011 13:57:44 Graham Anderson wrote:
On Friday 09 Sep 2011 13:06:06 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Even if you may not see that in the sword package, it doesn't hurt to
clarify the general picture IMO. As Ciarran posted, Fedora seems to
forbid religious text, I believe Ubuntu does so too (therefore the
Christian edition), so there is an issue to discuss here.

I see your point :)

Do you know if Fedora/Ubuntu go into detail about what/why they don't allow
in their packaging guidelines? I'd probably be quite interested in their
reasoning though I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with their
decision; I have strong view points (against) religion but on balance I
probably feel much stronger about freedom of expression.
So do I, again, I'm totally fine with the package, I only wanted to know if
someone would feel offended or if we should care for wording. Seems like most
of us don't mind.

However, I agree with your point that "open" shouldn't mean "anything goes".
Have we had issues before with overtly provocative packages? If so, how
were they dealt with?
As far as I know, license where much more controversial so far than people's
views ;-)

I think the guiding principles offer sound coverage of the aspects I
mentioned of being open and welcoming in diversity, but is there any formal
language that states a position on what *shouldn't* be tolerated?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke