[opensuse-project] Re: Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 18:15:38 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:54:33 +0100, Alin Marin Elena wrote:

Content should not be offensive, discriminatory, or derogatory. If you
are not sure if a piece of content is one of these things, it probably
is. Some examples of content which is permissable:

The issue with that description is that to a 'true believer', 'their'
religious text is none of those. They have to put themselves in the
shoes of someone who doesn't agree with them, and that's something that's
*very* difficult for some people to do.

Religious texts can be (and are) studied for reasons other than religion
- for anthropological or literary reasons, for example.

As such, 'education' seems an entirely appropriate classification to me.

I think we distract from the overall purpose of openSUSE by 'legislating'
minutiae about what is OK in a package description or not. If it's not
installed on my system by default (and it isn't), I don't really care
what the description says as I'm not likely to encounter it unless I go
searching for it. If I do that, I'm *probably* going out of my way to be
offended, and it's my own fault.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson