Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
On 09/09/2011 07:57 AM, Graham Anderson wrote:
On Friday 09 Sep 2011 13:06:06 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Even if you may not see that in the sword package, it doesn't hurt to
clarify the general picture IMO. As Ciarran posted, Fedora seems to forbid
religious text, I believe Ubuntu does so too (therefore the Christian
edition), so there is an issue to discuss here.
I see your point :)

Do you know if Fedora/Ubuntu go into detail about what/why they don't allow in
their packaging guidelines? I'd probably be quite interested in their
reasoning though I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with their decision; I
have strong view points (against) religion but on balance I probably feel much
stronger about freedom of expression.

However, I agree with your point that "open" shouldn't mean "anything goes".
Have we had issues before with overtly provocative packages? If so, how were
they dealt with?

I think the guiding principles offer sound coverage of the aspects I mentioned
of being open and welcoming in diversity,

Being "open and welcoming" as a community does not, at least in my mind, imply that we are willing to distribute every-bodies pet political or religious packages.

Create a philosophy repo as suggested earlier in the thread and keep it out of factory.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx