Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
Am 09.09.2011 13:06, schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
On Friday 09 September 2011 12:54:23 Graham Anderson wrote:
> On Friday 09 Sep 2011 12:29:32 Lars Müller wrote:
> > Maybe best if one of our English native speakers commnets on this.
>
> I'm an atheist and native English speaker, so I'll chip in on this. Here is
> the full text of the %description from the Sword package, none of which
> offends me in the slightest. Why would it?;)
>
> The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software
> package for research and study of God and His Word.
>
> The SWORD Bible Framework allows easy manipulation of Bible texts,
> commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc. Many frontends are build
> using this framework. An installed module set may be shared between any
> frontend using the framework.
>
> This is really fairly innocuous text, there is no proselytising or
> preaching, it's simple an accurate (so far as I can tell) description of
> what the package is for/does. I find the name of the software project
> "Sword" mildly amusing but that's neither here nor there, and is just a
> personal frivolity.
As I said, I'm also atheist but not offended in the slighest way by the
description or the package name. However, I was just thinking that this may be
an issue for some, thus the question.

I, as an agnostic, would suggest the following:

A software to study the bible, the main collection of books in the Christian faith.

I see no problem in accepting it, *if* we make clear, that´s _only_ the Christian POV and that other religions are invented to submit their software as well (maybe a program to study the Tora or something else.)

So my plan for this:

- make clear it´s only Christian (maybe you should talk to the maintainer(s) first and explain them your concerns. I´m sure you´ll find a way.)
- move it to education
- finish! ;-)

The only thing we have to do is, to avoid any kind of "holy war". I think we all don´t want to get into such flames about "my god is better then your god and my church is more holy then yours".

Kim

--
-o) Kim Leyendecker
/\\ openSUSE Ambassador, openSUSE Wiki Team DE