Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:57:44 +0200
On Friday 09 Sep 2011 13:06:06 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Even if you may not see that in the sword package, it doesn't hurt to
clarify the general picture IMO. As Ciarran posted, Fedora seems to forbid
religious text, I believe Ubuntu does so too (therefore the Christian
edition), so there is an issue to discuss here.

I see your point :)

Do you know if Fedora/Ubuntu go into detail about what/why they don't allow in
their packaging guidelines? I'd probably be quite interested in their
reasoning though I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with their decision; I
have strong view points (against) religion but on balance I probably feel much
stronger about freedom of expression.

However, I agree with your point that "open" shouldn't mean "anything goes".
Have we had issues before with overtly provocative packages? If so, how were
they dealt with?

I think the guiding principles offer sound coverage of the aspects I mentioned
of being open and welcoming in diversity, but is there any formal language
that states a position on what *shouldn't* be tolerated?

Graham

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."