Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:54:23 +0200
On Friday 09 Sep 2011 12:29:32 Lars Müller wrote:
Maybe best if one of our English native speakers commnets on this.

I'm an atheist and native English speaker, so I'll chip in on this. Here is
the full text of the %description from the Sword package, none of which
offends me in the slightest. Why would it? ;)

The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software
package for research and study of God and His Word.

The SWORD Bible Framework allows easy manipulation of Bible texts,
commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc. Many frontends are build using
this framework. An installed module set may be shared between any frontend
using the framework.

This is really fairly innocuous text, there is no proselytising or preaching,
it's simple an accurate (so far as I can tell) description of what the package
is for/does. I find the name of the software project "Sword" mildly amusing
but that's neither here nor there, and is just a personal frivolity.

I think it's pretty important that openSUSE, as an _open_ project, strives to
ensure people of all faiths, and also anyone from racial, cultural and sexual
preference minorities feel comfortable and happy that they can leverage and
use our tools. Free software that is beneficial and enriching to their faith,
culture, community or lifestyle should be welcomed.

I don't think it's reasonable to use any of the openSUSE infrastructure or
tools to overtly campaign, push, promote or publicise any specific agenda
other than the openSUSE projects goals and guiding principles. I don't see any
evidence of this in the Sword package, so there's is no issue to discuss that
I can see.

Cheers the noo,
Graham

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."