Re: [opensuse-project] Religious and political views in packages
On Sep 09, 11 11:59:40 +0200, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Hello everyone,

sr#81625 want's to add 'sword', a bible study tool to openSUSE:Factory. While
that is totally fine, the spec file %description contains stuff like:

+The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software package
for
+research and study of God and His Word.

what exactly make this description a 'biased view'?
'ever expanding' is obviously euphemistic. To be proven false over time.
The mission statement I can see in this wording, is about the software
project, not about the religion.
Imo, this is comparable to statements of e.g. lucene claiming
to be the fastest search engine, while reviewers publish mixed results.

While I don't care much for that particular bedtime story, others may well be
offended by biased religious views (even more so if their's differing).

Calling it a 'bedtime story' may qualify as a biased view. Btw.

I have the feeling that openSUSE should take neutral stance, be inviting and
open for everyone (and we're quite good at that already). But I'm not sure if
we should provide a stage for non-technical biased views.

Non technical is the important part here. I agree, that non-technical
matter does necessarily fit well into Factory. The submitter gives this
reasoning:

I want to add sword (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/) package into Factory
(Fedora and other distributions already have it in their official
repositories). This package is going to be maintained in Education project

Do we already have policy for that or do we care at all?

We should care, and expand our policy accordingly. Being open and invitive
are high values for me.
Being officially 'neutral' is not bad per se, but also a dangerous thing: It
may mean that we 'have to' accept a range of packages with competing missions,
once we accept one with a mission.
Being a 'fast follower' of Redhat also is a dangerous thing. It indicates
that our own policies are weak.

my 2ct.
cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 __/ (____/ /\
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, J.Guild, F.Imendoerffer, HRB 16746
(AG Nuernberg), Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992.