Re: [opensuse-project] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:36:25 +0100
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 12:07 +0200, jdd wrote:
Le 09/09/2011 11:59, Sascha Peilicke a écrit :
allow such formulations or not. Do we already have policy for that or do we
care at all?

we should care. The very name of the project (sword) being a
supplementary reason!

Sounds scary doesn't it ;-) all those sword wielding believers:

Heb 4:12
"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any
double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and
spirit, joints and marrow;"
Eph 6:17
"the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

ie. the sword is pretty clearly (mostly) the book which the software is
allowing you to study - not some incitement to violence :-) [ in fact,
quite the opposite I'd argue ].

Having said that, while I personally agree with the description:

+The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software
+package for research and study of God and His Word.

I can see it might offend those whose end up on the other side of that
sometimes sharp division ;-) how about:

+The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software
+package for research and study of the Bible and associated literature.

Hopefully that is less contentious.

ATB,

Michael.

--