[opensuse-project] Religious and political views in packages
  • From: Sascha Peilicke <saschpe@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:59:40 +0200
Hello everyone,

sr#81625 want's to add 'sword', a bible study tool to openSUSE:Factory. While
that is totally fine, the spec file %description contains stuff like:

+The SWORD Project is an effort to create an ever expanding software package
for
+research and study of God and His Word.

While I don't care much for that particular bedtime story, others may well be
offended by biased religious views (even more so if their's differing). Of
course, this may equally apply to policitcal views or offensive words.

I have the feeling that openSUSE should take neutral stance, be inviting and
open for everyone (and we're quite good at that already). But I'm not sure if
we should provide a stage for non-technical biased views. Even less so for
those with a mission. Thus, the question I'd like to ask is whether we should
allow such formulations or not. Do we already have policy for that or do we
care at all?
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sascha Peilicke