Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Conference CfP - what kind of sessions?

<snip>

Let's see what we can do for this conference with the following
_assumptions_:
*1 big room for talks and 4 smaller rooms
*read-only talks only in the big room

Why? A read-only talk to a smaller audience in a smaller room is a very different experience for everyone than a read-only talk in a big room. Further, in a smaller room, read-only talks tend to be less read-only in smaller rooms as people feel more comfortable asking questions.

*discussions in 2 rooms

I like discussions, but reserving 2 rooms for 4 days to discuss stuff appears a bit excessive to me. I don't think we want a "lets just hang out" conference.

*workshops in 1 room
*1 suselabs room
*We have 4 days
*Starting at 9 with a 30 min keynote

I think keynotes should be longer, 45 minutes to an hour.

*keeping things up until 16:30 (as we have cool ideas for things after
*that time)
*a 1 hour lunch break and 2 30 min coffee breaks (10:30-11, 12-13 and
15:00-15:30)

I think a break right after the keynote works well as people always have something to talk about after the keynote. Counting in longer keynotes the first break could be 10:00 - 10:30 which would leave room for two 40 min talks/discussions... before lunch.

We can have 5 slots per day per room. That means up to:
1 keynote per day, 4 total
5 talks/day, 20 total
5 workshops/day, 20 total (but several will last 2-4 hours so count on
more like 10 workshops in total
10 Discussions/day, 40 total
5 SUSE Labs sessions/day, 20 total.

Yep, counted very well, 84 total slots, probably like 75 sessions to be
scheduled in total.

Robert

Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx