Re: [opensuse-project] New questions for people of openSUSE
2011/4/29 Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>:

On 27/04/11 04:33, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
[...]
The problem with the current question sheet is that it is far too long.
Having more than 5-6 questions simply makes it a tl;dr thing.

I disagree. The "people of openSUSE" articles were the only articles out
of the openSUSE newsletter I've ever read in full in the past because it
was an interesting read about the people behind openSUSE. I think the
questionnaire in the past was good.

Moreover, the current questions don't invite an interesting answer. If
you ask "what is your favorite color" chances are you get "blue". In
other words, a completely boring and uninteresting answer. If you ask
"what is the coolest thinkg you ever did in openSUSE" you get a
_personal story_, which is obviously a lot more interesting.

When I read the "people of openSUSE" article, I am not interested in "cool
things they did in openSUSE" - this will just lead to a long list of
boring stuff ("packaged 20 RPMs", etc) where everybody will try to squeeze
as much in as possible to show how important they are. If people are asked
to fill in such a questionnaire, I as a reader already know that they have
contributed in one way or another to openSUSE, I don't need all the
details at that point. When I read these articles and the answers, I am
more interested in learning something about the person, their professional
background, their motivation, and some funny personal preferences. This
tells me a lot more and helps me a lot better to understand some of their
points of view when it comes to openSUSE and decisions to be made.

Generally what is cool for someone might be stupid to someone else. I
think that is cool to make video-clips demonstrating openSUSE and
listening to AC/DC but many people will probably find that stupid or
meaningless.

Thomas

http://opensuse.gr
http://amb.opensuse.gr