Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
Am 28.04.2011 04:25, schrieb Alberto Passalacqua:
2011/4/27 Koushik Kumar Nundy<kknundy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> It appears that the openSUSE project has no official
> stance for or against Balsam, and I personally feel it shouldn't have
> one either, so there really isn't much we can do about it. Another
> company, another product. Apparently end of story. Let us worry about
> the openSUSE project. Let openSLX worry about Balsam.

Well I think this is the wrong way. It´s imho still openSUSE which is into Balsam. Maybe it isn´t called openSUSE or not even SUSE or Novell, but if I were the programmer of, let us say, YaST, I would feel still responsible for my code, also when the lead developers of the product are someone else.

It´s like Debian and Ubuntu. If Ubuntu achieve a full self-destroyment, they will harm also Debian.
It actually is another company, same product. And it seems largely at
the expenses of the openSUSE project, which does most of the job
without getting anything back.

Well, SuSE Linux was actually the same product as Slackware and Jurix was, but the SuSE Linux AG was another company.
Someone claims openSLX contributes to
openSUSE, but how? Splitting the community with the creation of their
support site and redirecting users there? Taking advantage of two
projects from Novell without benefits for our community? Because the
benefits of Balsam Enterprise will only be for them it seems.

For many people who are using RHEL, CentOS was the reason to use RHEL later. Why couldn´t it be the same here?
Not having a position on that does not seem a good idea to me,
especially when the position was very clear when the internal
community to the openSUSE project tried to do something similar.

full ack.
It
frankly seems that community members have to pay a price others do not
have to pay, and it comes natural to ask what is the advantage of
contributing to a project that works this way.

thanks

openSUSE Ambassador / openSUSE Wiki Team DE
HAVE A LOT OF FUN!
http://www.opensuse.org | http://www.suse.de
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.