Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Koushik Kumar Nundy <kknundy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:42:36 +0800
On 28 April 2011 10:25, Alberto Passalacqua
<albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

2011/4/27 Koushik Kumar Nundy <kknundy@xxxxxxxxx>:
It appears that the openSUSE project has no official
stance for or against Balsam, and I personally feel it shouldn't have
one either, so there really isn't much we can do about it.  Another
company, another product. Apparently end of story. Let us worry about
the openSUSE project. Let openSLX worry about Balsam.

It actually is another company, same product.

That is how GPL works. Can't really help it. Anyone can use the code.
Technically CentOS and RHEL would then be the same product as well,
but in practice they aren't.

And it seems largely at
the expenses of the openSUSE project, which does most of the job
without getting anything back. Someone claims openSLX contributes to
openSUSE, but how? Splitting the community with the creation of their
support site and redirecting users there?

Whatever the intentions of openSLX,

Taking advantage of two
projects from Novell without benefits for our community?

AFAIK, openSUSE is not a Novell product. SUSE Studio is, and if I
understand correctly, it's very purpose is to make creating openSUSE
based distrolets, so I see no "exploitation" or "taking advantage"
here.

Because the
benefits of Balsam Enterprise will only be for them it seems.

Not having a position on that does not seem a good idea to me,
especially when the position was very clear when the internal
community to the openSUSE project tried to do something similar.

If Balsam, or anyone else, is a rebranded openSUSE clone, the only way
we can stop contributing to them is if we stop contributing to
openSUSE. Hardly a happy option. If anyone is an SLE clone, we, the
openSUSE project, can do nothing about it, simply because it is not
our product.

It frankly seems that community members have to pay a price others do
not have to pay, and it comes natural to ask what is the advantage of
contributing to a project that works this way.

If people say "Why contribute to Debian, I don't like Linux Mint.",
God save our souls.

Best,

Disclaimer: All opinions are personal. I am not a representative of
openSUSE and speak only for myself. I do not represent openSLX. I
hardly know who they are. I just feel we should not care if someone
chooses to make a derivative outside the project.

Thanks
~kknundy