Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 21:25:29 -0500
Hi,

2011/4/27 Koushik Kumar Nundy <kknundy@xxxxxxxxx>:
It appears that the openSUSE project has no official
stance for or against Balsam, and I personally feel it shouldn't have
one either, so there really isn't much we can do about it. Another
company, another product. Apparently end of story. Let us worry about
the openSUSE project. Let openSLX worry about Balsam.

It actually is another company, same product. And it seems largely at
the expenses of the openSUSE project, which does most of the job
without getting anything back. Someone claims openSLX contributes to
openSUSE, but how? Splitting the community with the creation of their
support site and redirecting users there? Taking advantage of two
projects from Novell without benefits for our community? Because the
benefits of Balsam Enterprise will only be for them it seems.

Not having a position on that does not seem a good idea to me,
especially when the position was very clear when the internal
community to the openSUSE project tried to do something similar. It
frankly seems that community members have to pay a price others do not
have to pay, and it comes natural to ask what is the advantage of
contributing to a project that works this way.

Best,