Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
On 27 April 2011 23:33, Alberto Passalacqua
<albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to add a comment. When a good and active part of the
community who has been around for longer than openSLX asked for the
creation of an open version of SLE, Novell/openSUSE was not so kind
and supportive since it was seen as competition for SLE.

What changed in this? Why isn't this project pursued inside the
openSUSE community instead than by a separate company which will
actually represent competition, since it will offer commercial
support?

I might be wrong, but I think this one is easy. We (the people of
openSUSE) can only determine how we work within the project. If our
primary sponsor strongly wants us to not do something , we might not
do it. What another company does (here openSLX) is outside the
jurisdiction of either Novell or openSUSE, especially if there is no
infringement or illegality involved (which it seems there isn't). What
any of us think and believe as individuals or as a project, might or
might not be considered important by openSLX, and is certainly not
binding to them. It appears that the openSUSE project has no official
stance for or against Balsam, and I personally feel it shouldn't have
one either, so there really isn't much we can do about it. Another
company, another product. Apparently end of story. Let us worry about
the openSUSE project. Let openSLX worry about Balsam.

This does not make too much sense at a first sight, but we are open to
explanations :-)

Regards,
AP

Happy hacking,