[opensuse-project] Re: zypper slow
  • From: "Chris Jones" <chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:03:26 +1000
From: Michael Schroeder [mailto:mls@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:00 PM
To: Chris Jones
Cc: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-project] Re: zypper slow

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 01:42:30PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
Well I did try with the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and with the same result,
which is what I expected. Because if it was a DNS issue for some
reason, it wouldn't be limited to zypper and openSUSE. As previously
mentioned both yum and apt work perfect and fast in both functioning
and downloading of packages.

I freshly installed openSUSE last night and updated. The actual launch
and function of zypper doesn't seem to be the issue. It definitely
appears to be the downloading of packages as the actual noted download
speeds of each package was VERY inconsistent. I suspect it's the
mirror from where my packages are sourced.

Do you happen to use a 3com 3C905c-TX/TXM ethernet card? There seems to be a
bug in the 11.4 driver for this card. See also bug #688454.

Cheers,
Michael.

No. I use a RealTek chipset.

Regards