Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
Lørdag den 23. april 2011 19:41:40 skrev Jim Henderson:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:34:36 +0200, Kim Leyendecker wrote:
By the way, openSUSE is more an upstream project. With the start of SUSE
Studio we (and Novell) allowed the vast majority to easy clone
openSUSE´s and Novell´s techonology. Remember: I came to the openSUSE
project as I create my own openSUSE-clone and felt like " I have to give
back something as a "thank you"".

That's an interesting point, Kim. Thinking back on the strategy
discussions, one of the proposed strategies was that openSUSE become a
base for derivatives.

But it was not a popular proposal by any means.

Who wants to contribute to a piece of junk that is only intended to be diamond
in the rough for others to polish and take advantage of.

And the whole idea builds on the assumption that derivative makers will
contribute back - which is highly doubtful. And we're already seing that.
Derivative makers are making a lot of effort to differentiate from openSUSE,
rather than help making openSUSE better.