[opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:41:40 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:34:36 +0200, Kim Leyendecker wrote:

By the way, openSUSE is more an upstream project. With the start of SUSE
Studio we (and Novell) allowed the vast majority to easy clone
openSUSE´s and Novell´s techonology. Remember: I came to the openSUSE
project as I create my own openSUSE-clone and felt like " I have to give
back something as a "thank you"".

That's an interesting point, Kim. Thinking back on the strategy
discussions, one of the proposed strategies was that openSUSE become a
base for derivatives.

So if that is the project's intent, then Balsam becomes a natural
progression and at least from a product standpoint, that's actually
something we see (or saw) as desirable.

I still would like to understand better why the community site was setup
largely out of view of the openSUSE community, but even in that view, it
makes some sense to me as well; a derivative of the distro might
necessarily have its own community that is a derivative of the openSUSE
community as well.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson