Re: [opensuse-project] zypper slow
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 03:05, Chris Jones <chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a genuine question for the openSUSE folk.
I recently switched from Red Hat to openSUSE 11.4. In a nutshell, I am very
happy with the resulting system that I have running with the 2.6.37 Linux
kernel. But I just can't understand one thing. What makes zypper so god damn
slow when it comes to package management and installation of packages?

In comparison to Red Hat's yum and Debian's apt, zypper is shockingly slow
at anything it does. I'm curious as to why this is and why it can't be
developed to match the speed of yum and apt.

Can someone shed some light on this?

That really surprises me. I'm seen the opposite. The one thing that
comes to mind is it might be the mirror you are talking to. For a
little while there was a bad (for whatever reason) mirror that my
machine was pulling from and zypper was slow.

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to check that. Maybe someone
on the list knows.

Cheers,
Stephen