Re: [opensuse-project] zypper slow
Hi

Well depends on the backend which zypper supports a lot which is
currently aria but you can always change it to one of your download
manager choices ranging from curl to wget to anything at zypp.conf ( I
believe not sure)

Regards
Manu

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Chris Jones <chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a genuine question for the openSUSE folk.
I recently switched from Red Hat to openSUSE 11.4. In a nutshell, I am very
happy with the resulting system that I have running with the 2.6.37 Linux
kernel. But I just can't understand one thing. What makes zypper so god damn
slow when it comes to package management and installation of packages?

In comparison to Red Hat's yum and Debian's apt, zypper is shockingly slow
at anything it does. I'm curious as to why this is and why it can't be
developed to match the speed of yum and apt.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Cheers

--
PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web

C and L Jones - Proprietors

ABN: 98 317 740 240
WWW: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
@: chrisjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or photoresolutions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Command lines and Linux terminals are my comfort zone!

OS: Windows XP
System:  x86
Desktop: Professional SP3

OS: openSUSE 11.4