Re: [opensuse-project] Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
Am 21.04.2011 02:07, schrieb Pascal Bleser:
On 2011-04-21 01:02:53 (+0200), Sebastian Kügler
<Sebastian.Kuegler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 22:59:08 Pascal Bleser wrote:
Why not use Evergreen as a base and contribute to that ?

Is Evergreen binary-compatible to SLES? This is an important part of the
offering of both, SLES and Balsam Enterprise, since it provides much easier
--
and thus less costly -- integration between both products. It is in fact the
same code, but in a different product package, addressing different market

Oooooh, okay, so Balsam Enterprise is based on SLES ?

So you guys are doing what we've been asked specifically _not_ to
do because it would harm Novell's business ?

Now that's interesting. I mean really interesting.

That's also strange IMHO. Sorry, again german:
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/16968/balsam-enterprise-angekuendigt.html

This is actually saying pretty nothing.
"Die Lösung wird in einer freien Download-Version verfügbar sein.
Kunden, die Support und Maintenance benötigen, sollen zudem
entsprechende Leistungen bei open-slx ordern können. Der Preis sollt
laut Aussage des Produzenten zwischen 40 und 60 Prozent unterhalb des
Originals liegen."

So it'll be freely downloadable (like SLES) and customers who need
support and maintenance can buy it from open-slx for around 40-60
percent below SLES' price.
That description means it's actually the very same thing for some bucks
less. So the article can be understood that this version does not get
updates for free (very same for SLES).
So it's apparently nothing like CentOS where the software and updates
will be free.

I'm still following this with interest since I said in the past there is
no point in doing LTS aka Evergreen if there is a really free (like
CentOS) clone of SLES.

Wolfgang