Re: [opensuse-project] Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:59:08 +0200
On 2011-04-20 22:10:28 (+0200), Sebastian Kügler
<Sebastian.Kuegler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
Your product looks really interesting and "Balsam Enterprise" is a big
chance for SLE to take over the market leadership (Look at Red Hat. RHEL
is so successfull because there two clones and they allow you to test
RHEL till whenever you want... A free SLE-clone would make SLE more open
and of course, more successfully, believe me.)

How is "Balsam Enterprise" a clone of SLE ?
It's an "openSUSE LTS", not a "clone of SLE", those are totally
different things.

Or, well, it's *not* an "openSUSE LTS", that's Evergreen.

I think so, too. There's a distinct hole in the market between service levels
and pricing of SLES, and openSUSE itself. Very recently, Novell has removed
some contractual hurdles, and made it possible for us to offer something like
Balsam Enterprise, modeled after how CentOS relates to RedHat, or put simply,
an LTS for openSUSE outside the enterprise market. The customer gets more
independence and better choice, more of the market is covered. That's a win
for openSUSE as base technology and community, as you say.

How is it a win for openSUSE ?

Why not use Evergreen as a base and contribute to that ?

I don't get it, what's the purpose of doing that on your own by
explicitly not seeking collaboration with the community ?
What's your advantage in doing so ?

/me shakes head

cheers
--