Re: [opensuse-project] Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:15:14 +0200
On 2011-04-20 19:16:43 (+0200), Kim Leyendecker <kimleyendecker@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[...]
The two Balsam products would realize this missed "feature". Are we
support these guys at open-SLX who are creating this distro?

1) never announced on any of the opensuse mailing-lists or
forums or whatever or, if so, very well hidden

2) none of us non-openslx-employees-opensuse-community-members
have ever heard of it until very recently, by chance

3) there has not been any request for permission to use the
openSUSE trademarks for this derivative work

4) its description says it adds proprietary packages and drivers
to openSUSE -- I wonder which and if it's nVidia or ATI/AMD
or madwifi drivers, it would infringe on the kernel license
(GPL), reason for which Novell is not including it in the
distribution nor its repositories, nor allowing it to be
hosted on any server on Novell's infrastructure

5) given the name "Balsam" and it's German meaning ("putting
balsam on someone's heart" = "soften the pain"), and the lack
of communication (to say the least), as well as one infamous
initiative open-slx took recently with community.open-slx.de,
it does make me wonder whether they just believe that we suck
and that they have to solve everything on their own without
involving us at all

The last bit (point 5) is interpretation or, rather, a personal
opinion.
But the rest is a bunch of facts.

I'll let you do your own interpretation whether an effort like
that needs our support or not. If desired at all. Given the
amount of announcements, discussions, and communication that has
happened so far (none), I would rather doubt it.

That being said, it's just my very personal 0.02€ on this.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green