Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!

On 2011-04-17 00:07, Peter Linnell wrote:
On 04/16/2011 03:36 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

First, thanks for Jim, Malcom, Carlos and others for their efforts with
the forums. It is a large audience and for many the first point of
contact with the community. That means its important that they feel
welcome and supported. Most importantly, feeling welcome turns users
into contributors ;)

Thank you, that’s the idea.

I can add from my perspective with Scribus that helping the newbies
sometimes can be a bit frustrating and time consuming.

Yes, indeed, it happens. Often I "bark" a brief reply that is more than
enough , I think, but then the OP can't follow and needs further
clarification, step by step, almost hand holding. I confess that I don't
have always that patience. But it is a community, and others usually step
in and fill up that gap.

I did skim the forums via nntp and it was not difficult for me to pick
out topics where I could give usable replies.

That's very good. The "helpers" try to help people, but it happens
sometimes that they reach points where they can not go further, and a
expert in the field is needed. Or, regardless our good intentions, we give
the wrong advice.

That reminds me: a field where real experts are needed much is GRUB. There
are many people having problem booting up, is a continuous subject. We
cope, but there are some hard cases, one currently trying to boot from an
external disk and failing.

I also understand where developers can be hesitant about forums. I had
long been resisting forums for Scribus. However, a small team from the
community stepped up and made it happen.

So from my perspective, we as packagers/developers/board members do need
at times to engage, even if it is not our preferred means.

That was my idea :-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

- --