[opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:39:31 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:30:22 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

IMO, that is incredibly arrogant. I would like help to be provided in
my native language, but when that's not available, I accept that I
have to use a foreign language to get help. I don't see why the forum
users cannot work like that too.

[snip]

BTW many of the users on OSF do actually get help in their native
languages - one of the things we do if someone's willing to help set it
up and manage it in a foreign language is to create forums for those
groups who want them. We currently offer in Hungarian, Japanese,
Russian, French, English, German, Dutch, Greek, and Portuguese.

I prefer Danish, can you please arrange for some helpers and a set of
suitable openSUSE fora?

We are happy to set up Danish forums if you're willing to help us find
people to staff them. That's how the process works: Someone helps
coordinate and recruit people to staff the forum who speak the language
natively, and we set them up. That's how we've done this for each of the
groups of language-specific forums (excepting English).

Nelson did this for the Portuguese forums that we've recently opened.
The resources come from within the community that has such a desire - not
from a request from someone who isn't willing to help out. So if you're
willing to help out (or if you know someone who is), absolutely we can
make that happen.

If there's a lower barrier to entry to get help somewhere else, then
that's where they'll go.

Of course, that's how it should be. However, we are (well I am)
specifically talking about the situation where there is no lower
barrier.

I think 50,000 forum users would disagree about the barrier to entry
for getting help in the forums being lower than the mailing lists. ;)

Yeah well, you're off on the wrong tangent again.

Well, I disagree - you seem to want to discount the opinion of those
50,000 users, though, which is why I think you think that it's
tangential. The users *are* important, and their preferences are
important.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson