[opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:18:29 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:39:02 +0200, Matt Barringer wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Most people choose forums, that's a fact. If newcommers do not find the
help they need to make openSUSE work, they will go to another distro,
not to a mail list.

No matter what you say about the goodness of maillists will convince
them. That's how things are now. Perhaps in 4 years time the preferred
method will be something else yet to be invented, but now and here it
is forums.

I understand that's the world we live in, but large omnibus forums are a
*terrible* way to interact with users, from a developer standpoint - I
simply don't have enough time in the day to monitor a dozen+ sub-forums
for threads that are asking questions that I can answer. Is it possible
to somehow automatically flag keywords in new topic submissions in the
forum? That would be very helpful.

The way I handle this, Matt, is to use NNTP and in my reader, I flag
threads (automatically using the scoring system) that I've participated
in or that people I want to follow have participated in.

I look at subject lines for any other threads. If it looks interesting,
I'll read a message or two. If the user can't be bothered to write a
helpful subject line, I'm not likely to take the time to figure out what
their problem is or if I can help them.

There is some onus on the user to be clear in writing a brief description
of their problem and using it as a subject line.

I make several passes through the forums every day (and have done it this
way for years) - it doesn't really take me that long with this particular
access method and way of handling it.

It's also no different than how I handle e-mail on my personal e-mail
account. I get a lot of crap in my inbox (stuff I've arguably asked
for), and I note the sender and subject, and if it's not important, I
ignore it or even mark it as read.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson