Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:31:51 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:08:53 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Perhaps suggest they take such questions to where they will be heard?
There are lots of occasions where an opensuse list is not the right
place to pursue a particular topic, and people take it directly to
the <project>-list. It seems quite reasonable to suggest to a
forum-user that 'you better ask that question' over on 'list77'
(which has the right people listening).

Users don't want to have to figure out whether to use a forum, a
mailing list, IRC, or some other venue to ask questions. The openSUSE
Forums are an official way for them to ask for assistance, and that's
where many users do in fact go.

While we do occasionally see people redirected to other venues to get
faster help (IRC is a fairly common suggestion, for example, for those
who have an immediate 'I need to fix this NOW' kind of problems),
sending users from one official venue to another is both inefficient
for the user and serves to highlight how fragmented the openSUSE
community really is.

I think it's entirely appropriate to redirect someone when better help
is available elsewhere. That it happens to be to another openSUSE
forum or list, that's life, we chose it that way.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.9°C)