[opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 05:22:25 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:22:47 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Traffic is too high for a volunteer proxy, unless there is an organized
body of proxies. It makes more sense to me that helpers have a peep at
the forums, too. Devs going there can learn first hand what users are
doing with their creations, so IMNSHO they must go there - else I'm
reminded of the government for the people without the people adage.

I would tend to agree - it isn't necessary to read each individual
message to get an idea as to what is troubling users.

For years, in addition to doing a full-time day job, I replied to 600+
messages a week on CompuServe (this almost 20 years ago, mind).

These days, I tend to skim and look for subjects that are either
interesting to me, look to be a quick answer, or to threads where it
looks like there may be some problems that need to be sorted out (after
all, I'm part of the staff that keeps the forums a friendly place where
new users aren't intimidated by those of us who've been around Linux for
a while ;) )

For those like Greg who have jumped in, it seems that picking one or two
forums to just keep an eye on is a good strategy - and while we certainly
would encourage active participation, there's nothing wrong with just
lurking and seeing what goes on - and if there's information to be passed
along where you see things maybe aren't being handled the way you think,
either feel free to jump in in those instances with some friendly advice,
or send a private message (PM) to someone on staff asking for help in
clarifying something from a project perspective or in your area of
expertise.

That way we all can learn. There's nothing like learning from those who
create. :)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson