Re: [opensuse-project] AN OPEN PROPOSAL ON openSUSE VERSION NUMBERING
On Monday, April 11, 2011 03:46:06 AM Bruno Friedmann wrote:
Drew there's two aspects :
First numbering is now fixed, and please don't come back to this before
2020 :-)
Your proposal is pretty good (should have been proposed two months ago),
but imply human power to release each iso. So such future proposal, should
be made, once a real team of people is able to manage it, and for several
years. (ask coolo how much time / work is needed for each release)
Otherwise we will just make a new long thread of words.

I'm feel so sorry now :-)

If someone comes with good idea before versions are applied is still good
time, specially that current decision is made between our own identity and
accepting numbering applied by other distros, nothing that really improves
user experience.

Making release with software that already has patches and patches are tested
as good is not that much work as stabilizing factory.

For me major improvement is that users downloading media will get one
installation media to download plus modest number of patches that are released
since last version, which is substantial improvement over current system where
installation of released version is followed with hundreds of MB of download
for updates.

This may not be a problem at home where you have thick download pipe and hours
to do installation and updates, but at friends site shorter is better. You
come with patched DVD and in one hour you are done, including first steps how
to use. No distribution offers this now, and as they don't have OBS they will
need some time to catch up.

--
Regards,
Rajko