Re: [opensuse-project] oSConference: Theme & Program Planning
On 04/08/2011 07:59 AM, Pascal Bleser wrote:
On 2011-04-08 10:23:51 (+1000), Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Theme:
What should be the theme of this year's conference? In yesterday's
Project meeting on IRC it was expressed that we've already succeeded in
using the collaboration theme and we should look beyond that for this
coming event.

Perhaps it would be useful to return to an openSUSE-Centric theme and
look at ways to strengthen openSUSE itself - find our unique qualities
and tools and build on them. Also to identify weaknesses and target
those. And looking at fundamentals of user experience, stability,
security, integration, QA. Sometimes this stuff isn't as cool and
funky as playing with new technologies, but like in good health, you
can't neglect your basic diet and exercise!

Couldn't agree more.

I'm the last one to complain about collaboration (I'm one of the
organizers of FOSDEM and I'm the one who kickstarted the
Cross-Distribution miniconference there after all ;)),
especially across distributions, but I also believe that we need
to keep a larger share of the time at the conference to
concentrate on our own issues and initiatives.

Isn't it a good occasion to present all our current projects and
discuss them with peers, in order to
1) let the community (-> slideshare ;)) know what we're doing
2) collect some ideas, opinions and feedback
?

Bretzn/appstream, connect, Build Service, webpin2, WebYast,
zypp, security, marketing, ambassadors, tumbleweed, evergreen,
studio, maintenance, factory, ... and that's really just off the
top of my head in a couple of seconds.

How about taking more time for those topics, time to present but
also time to discuss, brainstorm, and potentially win active
contributors for those projects.
Make some tracks around our own projects.

Or, to put it differently: more of a read/write conference than
a read-only one.

Theme: "rwxrwxrwx" (read, write and execute for the owner, the
group, and the world ;))
Ok, "rwx³" is shorter ;)

Starting from there, we could invite specific people who are
working on projects that are, or could potentially be, of great
interest to us (systemd, smolt, tomoyo, ...).

We've been making a lot of noise about our fantastic toolsets like OBS
and projects like BRETZN which give a lot back to the community, and I
"more than a distribution" is a catchphrase we have been using lately.
It's good stuff..... But also at the heart of everything is a
beautiful desktop distribution. I suggest a theme something like "I <3
openSUSE", with the focus on keeping the heart of openSUSE strong.

Why not. At FOSDEM 2010, our t-shirt design was "FOSDEM <3 me",
so "openSUSE <3 me" would be a catchy option too :D

cheers

Love that all.

I would just like to add a concept of small workshops and do something concrete.
Also date of the conference, will be just the ideal time frame to get our 12.1
release note done.
Kind of Marketing Hack Fest (and any other Hack fest we can organize QA, global
Mxx test etc)

Try to use our conference to cover our needs.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador