Re: [opensuse-project] future features
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:58:07 +0200
Jos Poortvliet wrote:

On 2011-04-04 Martin wrote:

I think you're overestimating the importance of "new (distro
specific) stuff". People are craving for something that works and is
usable. And whenever something changes a little bit half of the
users will whine like crazy - not praise the innovation.

Sure, users want something that works. But I'm not asking what
improvements we will do in the stability and performance area but what
new things we do because marketing needs those to market openSUSE.
Unfortunately, journalists, bloggers and in general techies on the web
are entirely uninterested in a list of fixed bugs. And without them
writing about openSUSE, nobody will KNOW about the new releases and we
won't have many users left in a few years.

They want features and cool things. Do you know what got openSUSE 11.4
most attention? Tumbleweed. What got us most criticism? We don't
innovate.

There is a significant difference between gaining new users and keeping
existing users, but I think something "that just works" is equally
attractive to both, whereeas that something "that just doesn't work" is
probably not very attractive to new users. I'm all for new and cool
features, but the focus has to be "that works", not "that looks sexy".

I don't want to smack down on you but I have 500 unread mails in
opensuse-project@ and I bet I'm not the only one. The large amount of
irrelevant traffic is what keeps developers OFF this list.

It's actually quite easy to ignore things by thread - for instance, all
the gsoc stuff is of zero interest to me, so I just hit 'I' on those
threads. All done.

We all know multimedia is an issue, we all know we don't package this
and that etc, nothing new you guys said... Sorry to say it but it's
true.

Can we keep the meta discussions in a separate thread (or just skip
them as it's nothing new anyway) and focus on what we're doing here?

Jos, perhaps you could summarize what _you_ think your thread is about?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.7°C)