Re: [opensuse-project] future features
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:33:37 +0200
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:55, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 19:57 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
And I think we'd be much more succesful if we could deliver functional
NetworkManager and updater applets for the first time in years, than
providing
some hyped "innovation".

Both NM and updates are working perfectly for me on 11.4, just as they
did on 11.3.

NetworkManager is currently broken on 11.4 if:

- you've got NFS mounts defined in your fstab (you have to do a
manual rcnetwork restart after boot to bring your network up)

- you want to use NetworkManager to manage OpenVPN (and presumably
VPNC etc) connections (I think the issue is it does not pass your
password to the remote server)

Both have bugs open on them. The VPN one has been fixed, but only
after the 11.4 release. I haven't yet seen any fixes for the no
network if you've got NFS mounts problem (it's been around since at
least 11.3).

So... the long winded answer here is to say.. NW isn't working all
that well unless you've got a very vanilla system/setup.

C.