Re: [opensuse-project] [GSoC] Offline Package Management for OpenSUSE
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:01:22 +0200
Hello,

* gigih aji ibrahim <bungcip@xxxxxxxxx> [2011-04-05 11:55]:
I am gigih aji ibrahim from University of Indonesia, I am interested
for applying OpenSUSE GSoC project.
My idea is to create offline package management for OpenSUSE.
Currently, when your computer is not connected to network,
installing and updating a package is difficult process. As example, I
want to upgrade my firefox to version 4 in openSUSE 11.4,
I usually go to http://software.opensuse.org/114/en, type 'Firefox',
and get the .rpm file. However, when I run 'sudo rpm -Uvh' on
my computer, the process stopped and give error that you need a new
mozilla-xulrunner20. Then, the next day, I download
mozilla-xulrunner20. Now, the error is little different, it says I
need a new mozilla-js20. I do the same routine again to fulfill all
dependencies for new Firefox. I spend 4 days just to install new
Firefox. My friend that use ubuntu is having more easy process
than mine. He just use offline package management called keryx
(http://keryxproject.org/) to update his computer.
Unfortunately, keryx only support distribution that use apt/deb.

My idea is to extend keryx to implement zypper/rpm support.

What yours opinion about this idea?

I like the idea of easier offline patching and package
installation, but how about integrating with the existing native
package management tools rather than introducing a new
third-party application for it? I think Zypper/YaST could
probably easily be extended to output a list of URLs or a
shellscript in order to allow one to easily download all required
files on another computer. E.g. Ubuntu/Debian's Synaptics also
natively offers that functionality, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Synaptic/PackageDownloadScript

Salam,
--