[opensuse-project] [GSoC] Offline Package Management for OpenSUSE
  • From: gigih aji ibrahim <bungcip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:54:50 +0700
Hello,

I am gigih aji ibrahim from University of Indonesia, I am interested
for applying OpenSUSE GSoC project.
My idea is to create offline package management for OpenSUSE.
Currently, when your computer is not connected to network,
installing and updating a package is difficult process. As example, I
want to upgrade my firefox to version 4 in openSUSE 11.4,
I usually go to http://software.opensuse.org/114/en, type 'Firefox',
and get the .rpm file. However, when I run 'sudo rpm -Uvh' on
my computer, the process stopped and give error that you need a new
mozilla-xulrunner20. Then, the next day, I download
mozilla-xulrunner20. Now, the error is little different, it says I
need a new mozilla-js20. I do the same routine again to fulfill all
dependencies for new Firefox. I spend 4 days just to install new
Firefox. My friend that use ubuntu is having more easy process
than mine. He just use offline package management called keryx
(http://keryxproject.org/) to update his computer.
Unfortunately, keryx only support distribution that use apt/deb.

My idea is to extend keryx to implement zypper/rpm support.

What yours opinion about this idea?

--
http://www.bungcip.com