Re: [opensuse-project] future features
Mandag den 4. april 2011 18:07:16 skrev Jos Poortvliet:
we're already seen as not-innovative
and that's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Nobody, after all, will
join openSUSE development if it is seen as boring. So it will BE boring
just because of that.

We've done pretty OK with our 11.4 release in terms of features, so now
people want to know more. Let's try and give them that.

Why? I thought the strategy was making something productive, not hyped
"innovation" for the sake of innovation.

I think you're overestimating the importance of "new (distro specific) stuff".
People are craving for something that works and is usable. And whenever
something changes a little bit half of the users will whine like crazy - not
praise the innovation.

What innovation does Debian or Gentoo or Arch do? ... They just ship packages,
and they don't seem to have much trouble being hyped or attracting
contributors.

We should just accept that there are no resources for major innovations
(except susestudio and webyast which most users have no interest in) and set
realistic, honest goals. We can barely maintain the distro as it is.

And I think we'd be much more succesful if we could deliver functional
NetworkManager and updater applets for the first time in years, than providing
some hyped "innovation".