[opensuse-project] Fwd: GSoC : Karma Plugin for OpenSUSE Connect
  • From: Kartik Mandaville <kar2905@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:27:44 +0530
Hey,
I am a third year undergrad at MIT, Manipal, India doing CSE and I
want to discuss the "Karma plugin for OpenSUSE Connect idea" [1]

The idea is to award Karma points for contribution to OpenSUSE. The
karma points will be given through wiki edits, bugzilla entries,
planet.opensuse.org posts, distribution changelogs and possibly other
sources. Also, we would implement a feature so as to send karma points
to another user in order to recognize his work. Also, we would
integrate this in the API so that the karma points can be fetched
easily.
From Michal's blog post[3] :
So basic idea of this project is to create different kinds of karma
and collect as many information as possible automatically. So we will
have wiki karma that will grow with every wiki page edit. We will have
marketing karma growing bigger with every tweet and blog post.
Packager karma getting bigger with every change submitted to the
openSUSE. So this project will be not only about displaying and
managing karma points but also about collecting statistics from
various different services.
As we know that the Connect is based on Elgg, so we need to develop a
plugin for Elgg which supports all these features.
 Michal Hrušecký would be mentoring this idea. Have a look at his blog
posts : [2] and [3]
I will be shortly sending my proposal here and would love to get
feedback. What do you guys think of the idea ?
Regards,
Kartik Mandaville
Founder, AutoBudder
MIT, Manipal | Tech Lead - Let Me Know
Ph No. : +91 9008420482 ( Manipal ) ( Current )
             +91 9650130969 ( Delhi )
http://www.mkartik.com
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Do you forget to wish your friends ?? Use AutoBudder on FB

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas#openSUSE_Karma_plugin_for_openSUSE_Connect
[2] http://michal.hrusecky.net/2010/08/ideas-about-karma-in-opensuse-connect/
[3] http://michal.hrusecky.net/2011/03/gsoc-2011-ideas-karma-plugin-for-opensuse-connect/