[opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-marketing] openSUSE Selected for GSoC 2011
On 2011-03-19 Helen wrote:
On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Manu Gupta <manugupt1@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi All

I am too excited and am righting in a lot of joy. Congrats to all
openSUSE is selected for GSoC more to come later :D let me enjoy
now

--
Regards
Manu Gupta

What wonderful news. Congratulations and many thanks to the members
of the team who put together the proposal, and to those stepping up
to be mentors for the program. Really looking forward to seeing the
program in progress!

Well, this was just step one. Now we need to go to universities and
spread the word about this, try to get students to come up with good
plans! The more serious proposals we have, the more likely it is we get
a good number of slots from Google. In Nurnberg a group of ppl went to
the university to hang up posters. I hope they are willing to put the
sources online so other ambassadors can follow this example?!?

Moreover, I have written a text which might be used on a folder to
inform students about GSOC, see attached. Feel free to translate and use
it, comments are welcome!

If you need artwork, find it at the links below (in SVG format, you can
use Inkscape to create something with it or translate it):
http://gitorious.org/opensuse-artwork/opensuse-
artwork/trees/master/posters
http://gitorious.org/opensuse-artwork/opensuse-
artwork/trees/master/flyers
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/art/trees/master/00assets/poster

As I personally also would like to hang up some posters/GSOC stuff at
the university here, so if anyone creates a nice A4 flyer/poster out of
the text I have attached and the graphics above, that'd be awesome* :D

Would also be nice to have for next year...

Have fun and get us some students ;-)

Cheers,
Jos

Helen

* It would also ensure I don't have to fire up Inkscape and embarash
myself with my horrible graphics/design/layouting skills...
About Free Software, Google Summer of Code and openSUSE
or: how to have more fun this summer!

This summer you can spend your time in a way that is both more productive and
more fun. Instead of bringing drinks around or cleaning rooms, you can do some
coding in an exciting and innovative project while getting paid for it!

About Google Summer of Code
Each year, Google pays hundreds of IT students around the world to spend their
summer writing code for a Free Software project. If you get selected, you'll be
mentored by an expert in the area you'll work in while getting paid $5000 upon
successful completion of your project.

About Free Software
"Free" or "Open Source" software is developed by companies and volunteers
together instead of within just one company. And unlike 'normal' software, the
Free Software license allows you to study, modify and freely share the code!
Companies like IBM, Google, Facebook, HP, Intel and many others make extensive
use of Free Software to provide better, cheaper products than the competition.
Your mobile phone (Android, MeeGo or Symbian), your router at home - but also
the super computers doing cancer research or the servers of pretty much every
major website. Almost all of those run Linux or another Free Software operating
system. And you can run it too, if you like. On a server at home or even on
your desktop.

About openSUSE
openSUSE is one of the largest Linux distributions, well known for its focus on
working together and having fun. We do more than 'just a Linux distribution',
however. We create cool technology to help software developers distribute their
software not just on openSUSE but also other Linux distributions like Ubuntu
and Fedora. And on susestudio.com you can build your own, custom Operating
System with a large selection of software entirely from a web browser - and
download it as VM or USB stick image!

Set yourself apart from the masses...
Free Software offers more freedom for the users but also lower prices and
better products for companies. Free Software developers and sys admins therefor
are popular and on average earn 40% more than the 1000th Java or Microsoft
engineer.

... and have fun doing it
You'll notice Free Software offers a far more interesting world to work in than
the average software company. Free Software is much more dynamic, offers more
freedom in your work and brings more opportunities to learn and have fun at the
hundreds of conferences and meetings all around the world!

Find more info about:
Google Summer of Code: http://code.google.com/soc/
openSUSE and GSOC: http://en.opensuse.org/GSOC_2011
Free Software: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/