Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing search.opensuse.org
  • From: "pistazienfresser (see profile)" <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:06:08 +0100
Am 22/03/11 15:35, schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
On Monday, March 21, 2011 22:56:49 Brandon Philips wrote:
On 16:43 Mon 21 Mar 2011, Greg Freemyer wrote:
openSUSE 11.4 is missing in http://search.opensuse.org/packages/

What is that search feature even meant to do?

You have the build service search on the left which seems to work
fine. (I tried a search for fping)

But searching via the "packages" search for fping returns nothing. It
is part of the standard repos as well as having a devel repo, so I'm
not sure what's going on there. Or what the intended functionality
is.

It uses the packages.opensuse-community.org search aka webpin. But, it
keeps having load problems. I will wait and see if it comes back later.

I thought that one was broken and obsolete. Pascal?

I guess it gives/gave often better results than the thing on
software.opensuse.org

Compare:
openFATE #310986
Software Search to arrive at most desirable options
https://features.opensuse.org/310986

And I think the users could benefit from an improvement in both search
engines.

Especially in the case of Tumbleweed.
Example for the default search engine of the build service:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=zypper&baseproject=openSUSE%3ATumbleweed
a search for zypper gives no hits for Tumbleweed . Maybe a search for a
package in Tumbleweed could include the actual stable release (now 11.4)
- just with an lower/ posterior priority (so that any packages that are
already in Tumbleweed would appear first?).

The other (not rolling) Releases 11.x may profit of if the packages in
the Update Repositories would appear before the orignal release packages
and those before the other packages.

Regards
Martin
(pistazienfresser)