Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC: Schedule Complications
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 03:01:36PM -0600, Bryan Henderson wrote:
I am interested in participating in the GSoC this year.  I have a
project in mind
(http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas#Beautiful_one-click-install)
which would be "right up my alley;"  namely, Qt, openSUSE and
packaging semantics are my interests, and I am a big Qt enthusiast.
However, I have a full-time framing construction job.

My job schedule is unpredictable; I could have a straight month of
work, and then several weeks off in between the next job.  Each job
takes ~5 weeks.

In my upcoming job, I will be working 60 minutes away, coming home
every night and working Monday through Saturday.  If I utilized 30-60
minutes a night on the project and every Sunday, 2 hours a day while
traveling, I could pull off 30-35 hours a week.

In the next job (starting about May 9th), we will be working 2 1/2
hours away, staying in hotels over the week and taking Friday-Sunday
off.  Meaning that I could pull 42-53 hours a week.

Although I am perfectly capable of spending ALL my spare time on
programming/research (I have done it before), I am not going to
pretend that ALL of the time I have mentioned will be free for the
project; I do have to take care of myself!

I have discussed this (briefly) on GSoC's IRC channel, and they said,
"No way, Hose!"  I never mentioned how much time I would be able to
devote... What is your input?

GSoC is supposed to be a full-time job. If you can't commit that time
to it, I would suggest not applying for it.

thanks,

greg k-h