Re: [opensuse-project] Proposed changes to EULA for next release
  • From: "pistazienfresser (see profile)" <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:07:27 +0100
Am 23/03/11 15:32, schrieb jdd:
Le 23/03/2011 14:28, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :

I like the changes, so if nobody sees any problems with them, I'll go ahead
and change the EULA.

I have attached a LibreOffice document with the proposal,

* I can't display it with the correct character encoding
Me nether (in OO.o on 11.3 - maybe it is better with LibreO on 11.4 ?)

* A large part is taken by openSUSE being under Utah/US laws and
limitations. I beg this is linked to Novell being american, when most
devs are from germany. I beg we can't avoid this...

jdd

Maybe someone could ask my colleges (in Utah? from Novell?) if and in
what rate/in what amount they have considered the interests of the SUSE
GmbH and each of the the German/European programmers beside the
interests of the Novell Inc.?

Have they also estimated
the probability that and
possible amount of claim if
a (German?) judge/court rates German/European/Korean/... law applicable?

Have they thought about explicitly referring to "vorsätzlichem"
(approximately translated en: indented or knowingly) and "grob
fahrlässigem" (approximately translated en: grossly negligently)
behaving? I apprehend the hole clause for exclusions of liability would
be rated null and void without an explicit exception of any intently,
knowingly and grossly negligently caused damages.[1]

But please do not make me liable for rising that question ;-) [2].

Regards
Martin
(pistazienfresser)

[1]
See: § 309 No. 7 and § 306 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB) and you may
also just google/look in a book for "Verbot der geltungserhaltenden
Reduktion"
[2]
further reading:
de:
http://dejure.org/gesetze/BGB/309.html (with links to court decisions
and some papers)
http://dejure.org/gesetze/BGB/306.html
en (translated text of the law):
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/englisch_bgb.html#BGBengl_000P309
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/englisch_bgb.html#BGBengl_000P306

[2]
apart from any intently, knowingly or grossly negligently caused damages
- see (also) § 675 section II BGB http://dejure.org/gesetze/BGB/675.html
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_bgb/englisch_bgb.html#BGBengl_000P675
(en)

--