Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 2011: Bug reporting tool.
  • From: Mihnea Dobrescu-Balaur <mihneadb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:31:21 +0200
[...]
You can then drill down into virtualbox from that repo and find out
who the maintainer is.  I don't know if that is done via zypper, or
osc, but either way you can see that a lot of the data needed to file
a bugzilla can be gathered automatically.

Yes, I've thought of that. I was planning on using the "-i" search option
to crawl through installed packages. :)

It would be great if that could be used to populate a ncurses form
and/or a GUI form for the user to fill out.  I don't know if you
should allow the automatically collected data to be edited by the user
or not, but the bug details clearly need to manually input.
Here, I was thinking to request the user to enter details like:
- required steps to reproduce the behavior
- expected behavior
- actual behavior
- severity (although it depends on the user's objectiveness)
- also, something like a tick box to say if the issue is security related
or not ( i feel that this is important, aside from the severity scale )
- last but not least, maybe a set of predefined tags; what do you
think?

Then when the user clicks "file" (or whatever), you submit the bug to
bugzilla and maybe email the submitter an email with a link to their
bugzilla entry.

I would need to have the user's email. I think it can be marked as an
optional step for the user.

Niceties would include:

- looking to ensure they have a bugzilla account, and if not walking
the user through creating one.
Don't know about walking through those steps, but at least a link to
the register page.

- pulling dmesg logs, yast logs, etc. as needed for specific bugs.
ie. When filing a yast subsystem bug, there is a process the user is
supposed to follow.

- see http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Report_a_YaST_bug for just one
set of features you could add to your tool
I'll do some research!

I don't know that your tool would need to be part of the follow-on
questions etc.  In fact I'm not sure how you could really assist with
that.
Maybe I could ask the user if he agrees to be contacted via e-mail if
in need for more details?

Thank you,
Mihnea