Re: [opensuse-project] UI font in KDE live too small - packaging policy related?
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:23:17 +0100
2011/3/13 cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Cristian Morales Vega
<cmorve69@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/3/13 cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@xxxxxxxxx>:
therefore tiring to read. I went to KDE control center and found out
the UI font size is 9pt. Most desktop distros nowadays - as well as
openSUSE GNOME live - have a default font size of 10pt to 12pt; as far

My normal openSUSE 11.4 KDE system, installed from DVD, has Sans
Seriff 9 as General Font and it's OK. Perhaps the detected DPIs of
your display is not correct?
15.1" LCD 1366x768 DPI
It's my understanding that GNOME supposes all displays are of 96 dpi,
as Windows pre-Vista, so its font size... I don't know how they select
it, but seems difficult to compare.

Sorry but I don't know much about DPI... my laptop has a 15.1" LCD,
with natural resolution 1366x768. I don't know how to calculate the
actual DPI, but Windows(TM) 7 detected it to be 96. (And according to
you post-Vista Windows is able to determine the actual DPI.)

If a screen is 14 inches width and is set to a resolution of 1366
pixels/dots its horizontal DPI (Dots per Inch) are 1366/14 = 97.57
DPIs. It's that simple.
You can know the detected DPIs with the command "xdpyinfo | fgrep resolution".

A screen with a resolution of 1366x768 and 96 DPIs must be

((1366 dots / 96dots/inch)^2 + (768 dots / 96dots/inch)^2) ^ 1/2 = 16,32 inches

of 16.32"

However I was able to confirm that openSUSE 11.4 KDE also detected it
to be 96, the same value with GNOME; so it's possible to compare. The
default font size in openSUSE 11.4 KDE IS smaller than GNOME desktops.
I don't know the value other KDE distros use, but if they all use 9pt
then it would feel quite weird to me that KDE users prefer smaller
texts than GNOME users...

No idea about Gnome. But IMHO 9 can be read without problems and
doesn't waste space.