Re: [opensuse-project] First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
I tend to think *keep it simple*. In other words, no octals ;-)

My proposal was not included in the survey because it is not too far
from what we are used to, and probably it does not fit in the
(unexplained) desire of changing numbering. Anyway, I report it here,
just in case someone likes it :-)

The idea is simple: openSUSE is not only a community distribution. It
is used in many academic environments, and also workplaces. Its
connection, even if not direct with SLE has been useful for these
users, since they rely also on commercial applications, which are
typically certified for SLE. This provides an indication, in general,
of what openSUSE will probably support those applications too, and I
think it should not be lost. As a consequence, my proposal was the
following.

Let's assume SLE 12. Then we call the release of openSUSE which is the
base for SLE 12, openSUSE 12.0. And then we proceed as follows:

SLE 12 -> openSUSE 12.0
openSUSE 12.1
openSUSE 12.2
openSUSE 12.3
openSUSE 12.4
openSUSE 12.5
SLE 12 -> openSUSE 13.0
openSUSE 13.1
openSUSE 13.2

and so on.

I know many do not like the connection with SLE, but honestly I see it
as an advantage more than as a problem.

--
Alberto Passalacqua