Re: [opensuse-project] First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:54:20 +1100
If we are going to make an extended security updates for a past release
(i.e.11.1 Evergreen) and make a downloadable iso we should add something like
this: YY.MM.xTmm . (i.e. 11.1.xTviii) Where "xT" would mean "extended support"
and romanized lower case ( August=viii) would be the month the extended
security updates will end. We would have all important information available
at the sight.

Best,
--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux  Ambassador
Panama

While I see what you're trying to achieve with this system, the
extended support information in the number seems a little bit
superfluous. And having to write out openSUSE 12.09.xTviii all the
time would be irritating, and it looks really messy. And which August
is that referring to? And how often do I really need to know that
about it?

You could maybe use 12.09x with an x indicated extended support and
the user could easily find the end date if they need to know it.

Helen

--
IRC: helen_au
helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx